Happy Valentine’s Day to all of your runners out there. Let’s face it, many of us live running. We run in our spare time. We hang out with runners. The single people among us may even want to date other runners. But as always, the approach in making this known varies from person to person. In that spirit today I present my list:
Top Ten Signs that Your Running Partner Wants to Be Your Valentine
[Two new bonus items make it twelve now.]
12. Running partner shows up to the run in a red thong with a heart on the front and that’s all.
11. Creepy grin when suggesting that “downward facing dog” would be good for your flexibility.
10. Offer by your partner to put Body Glide on was a nice gesture, but took on new significance when he indicted where he was going to put it.
9. New tattoo across his calf says, “if you can read this, you’re following too close (and I like it.)”
8. Suggests meeting in the hot tub instead of the trail-head where you normally meet.
7. Replaces energy chomps with heart shaped candies that say “Be mine.”
6. Offers to simulate “muscle fatigue” that you’ll feel in the last few miles of the marathon, promising that you’ll need to “just keep pushing” and you’ll get there.
5. Invite to the “group run” appears to be only a three-some.
4. Suggests with a smirk that you do a new core workout together that includes a lot of repeated stomach crunches, but doesn’t go into the details.
3. Suggestively opens gel package with tongue, tying the wrapper into a pretzel inside her mouth.
2. Offers to play any new running game in which each person takes turns being in the back.
1. Spikes your water-bottle with vodka and a little red pill that he says will make you really, really damn fast.
Happy Valentine’s Day runners!
Coach Joe English, Portland Oregon, USA
Running Advice and News
You must be logged in to post a comment.